Coconut Shrimp Curry

Coconut Shrimp Curry – Try this amazing recipe for this tasty and flavorful coconut shrimp curry, comfort food at its finest.



In Romanian cuisine we don’t use coconut milk or many of these ingredients found in this dish and this is why I like to experiment and try different type of dishes. When I started this blog my husband asked me if I won’t run out of recipes. I laughed and said there’s no way I will ever run out of recipes. Yes, I’ll run out of the recipes I know, but there are so many different types of cuisines out there, it’s impossible to run out of recipes, unless you are afraid to try different things. But not me, I’ll try anything once, if I like I’ll have it again, and if I don’t, well at least I can say I tried it.

But back to this recipe here, I love curry dishes with coconut milk in them, they’re rich in flavor and the dishes look amazing. I mean look at the color of this curry, it’s gorgeous.

Although you may think there are a lot of ingredients in this dish, there really aren’t and it was a very quick dish to put together. It makes a wonderful dinner or even a great lunch if you have left overs.


Coconut Shrimp Curry

ingredients


  • For Shrimp Marinade
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/7 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined

For the sauce

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (5.5 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
  • fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
  • cooked rice for serving


instructions


  1. In a small bowl toss the shrimp with the marinade ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  2. While the shrimp is marinating, heat the oil in a medium size pot. To it add the onion, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, pepper, salt, coriander, turmeric and curry powder.
  3. Continue to cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes with juices and all, stir well and cook for about a minute after which add the coconut milk, stir and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp with the accumulated juices from the marinade and cook for another 5 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
  4. Serve over hot rice and garnish with cilantro or parsley.